How Much Can I Afford?
Is the home you just found online within your monthly budget? Use our affordability calculator to get an estimate of your monthly payment by adjusting the home price, down payment, interest rate, and insurance.
How much do I need to put down?
A down payment of 20% or more helps you get a lower interest rate and avoid paying private mortgage insurance. But you may not need that much. These loans have lower down payment options for home buyers:
- Fixed-rate conventional loans usually require a down payment of at least 3%
- FHA loans have a minimum down payment of 3.5% whether you’re getting a fixed or adjustable rate
- VA loans are available with no down payment for veterans, active-duty military personnel and their families
What's included in my payment?
- Principal – the amount that was loaned to you by the mortgage lender
- Interest – the fee you’re paying the bank for lending you the money
- Escrow – monthly allowance for property taxes and homeowner’s insurance
What determines my interest rate?
- Credit score
- Debt-to-income ratio
- Type of loan
- The amount of your mortgage
- Where you live
- Current events
- The house you buy